Easter is almost here but do you know what’s on your table?
Ham, of course, maybe even some lamb. But what about side dishes??
Leave those boring mashed potatoes and garden salads behind with these revamped side dishes.
I had the chance to stop by Fox 17 to show these recipes off. Catch the full segment here. Trust me, the live action shots of these dishes are BEAUTIFUL. We eat with our eyes after all, right??
Potato Nests with Sour Cream and Microgreens
- 2lbs redskin potatoes, thinly sliced with a mandolin
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup microgreens
- Flaky sea salt, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a mini-muffin pan with cooking spray. Cut potatoes into 1⁄16-inch-thick slices using a mandolin or sharp knife.
- Whisk together butter, olive oil, chopped thyme, chopped rosemary, kosher salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Add potato slices, and toss until evenly coated.
- Begin lining the muffin tins with slices of the potato leaving a small indent. Bake for 35-45 minutes until the potatoes have browned and are easily pierced with a fork. Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes before removing from pan.
- Once removed from the pan, place a small dollop of cream cheese in the middle of each potato nest and top with microgreens. Sprinkle with sea salt and enjoy.
Shaved Asparagus Salad with Toasted Almonds and Smoked Gouda
For the vinaigrette:
- 3 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon local honey
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the asparagus salad:
- 1lb thick asparagus, trimmed
- 3 cups baby arugula
- 1/3 cup toasted almonds
- ½ cup smoked gouda, thinly sliced
- Make the vinaigrette by whisking all of the ingredients together, cover, and refrigerate.
- Next, make the salad by removing the tips of the asparagus and put them in a large bowl. Cut off the woody ends then use a vegetable peeler to shave each stalk. Toss the asparagus tips and shavings with 1/3 cup of the vinaigrette and let sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the arugula and almonds and toss. Add more dressing as needed. Arrange on a large platter and top with thinly sliced gouda. Season the salad with freshly cracked black pepper.
Roasted Rainbow Carrots with Honey Mustard Yogurt Sauce, and Crushed Walnuts
- For the roasted carrots:
- 2 pounds rainbow carrots
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- Kosher salt and pepper
For the honey mustard yogurt sauce:
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons honey (plus more to taste, if desired)
- 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Walnuts, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Peel and clean carrots. Cut carrots in half lengthwise and toss with olive oil. Place on a baking sheet and sprinkle with the desired amount of kosher salt and black pepper. Bake for 15-20 minutes until carrots are tender (check by piercing with a fork).
- Prepare yogurt honey mustard by whisking together yogurt, mustards, honey, and salt. Set aside. This may be made in advance.
- To plate, place carrots on a serving platter and drizzle with honey mustard yogurt. Sprinkle with roughly chopped walnuts and serve immediately.