I’m always trying to discover and create new plant-based recipes. I truly think the more vegetarian meals we eat, the more it benefits our health, our food industry, and our world.
These corn fritters came out of the desire for a quick Mediterranean lunch, dinner, or appetizer. They have this delicious fresh flavor from the vegetables which is complemented with the yogurt sauce and the basil oil. Seriously, you won’t miss having any meat in this.
Intimidated by pan-frying? Don’t be! I always check to see if my oil is hot enough by placing a tiny amount of my batter in the oil. If it starts to bubble right away, it’s likely ready. By doing this, you can check to see if your fritter tastes okay too. If it needs more seasoning, this is a great time to add it to your batter. Once you’ve got your batter to your liking, fry 3-4 patties at a time. This way you won’t overcrowd your pan or reduce your oil temperature. Cold oil = soggy fritters. When your fritters have turned golden brown on the bottom, flip away from you. No one wants to be splashed with oil. There you have it, nice and easy!
Corn Fritters with Feta Sauce and Basil Oil
Makes 8 Corn Fritters
Ingredients for Corn Fritters:
1 can of reduced sodium corn kernels (15.25oz), drained
½ roasted red pepper, chopped
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 Tbsp parsley, chopped
½ tsp onion powder
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
¼ tsp kosher salt
¼ tsp black pepper
vegetable oil for pan-frying, enough for 1/4 inch deep
Ingredients for Feta Sauce:
1 cup plain whole milk Greek yogurt
½ cup crumbled feta
Zest/juice of ½ a lemon
¼ tsp salt
Ingredients for Basil Oil:
½ cup basil
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove
1/8 tsp kosher salt
1. Combine all ingredients for corn fritters into a bowl and mix until incorporated. Let rest 15 minutes in the refrigerator.
2. While fritter mixture is resting, combine all ingredients for the feta sauce and refrigerate.
3. In a blender, mix ingredients for basil oil. Strain through a cheesecloth and fine strainer.
4. In a cast iron skillet, preheat vegetable oil.
5. Make patties out of corn fritter mixture, place into the oil once oil is heated. The mixture should make 8, 3-inch patties.
6. Cook on each side approximately 2-3 minutes until browned then flip and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
7. Serve corn fritters with feta sauce and basil oil.